These summer academic skills workshops help new first year and transfer students prepare for the college classroom and curriculum. Students work with faculty and staff in sessions focused on mathematics, academic writing and research, and/or general academic success skills. Our goal is to prepare students to hit the ground running at the start of the semester, prepared for the academic rigor, transitional differences and course content to succeed academically and socially.
- To Register for one or more Stepping Stone sessions, go to: https://www.events.unh.edu/RegistrationForm.pm?event_id=17817
- Each session costs $50.00. Register for all three workshops for $100.00
- If you have financial need, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for information about applying for a grant to cover the cost of the workshops.
- For admitted UNH Manchester Associate Degree Students: There is a scholarship available for your first two years at UNH Manchester for up to $2000 if you participate in one of the Stepping Stone Sessions. Please contact email@example.com for details.
- Registration deadlines: Space is limited therefore registration is encouraged before July 15th. However, registrations will be accepted until the sessions begin.
Stepping Stones Workshops:
Academic Writing, Reading and ResearchAcademic Writing, Reading, and Research is designed to strengthen students skills through targeted practice. The following areas will be emphasized: active reading, note taking and summarizing; responding to writing situations at the university from email to research writing, and becoming familiar with resources for research and documentation. This workshop may provide either a review or a step - up to meet the challenge of reading and writing in university courses.
Academic Writing, Reading and Research Dates:
- Tuesday, July, 28th 10:00AM-12:00PM and 1:00PM-3:00PM
- Thursday, July, 30th 10:00AM-12:00PM and 1:00PM-3:00PM
Mathematics RefresherMathematics is a fascinating discipline that provides us with the language to understand the universe around us. "The essence of mathematics is not to make simple things complicated, but to make complicated things simple." (S. Gudder) This two day non-credit bearing course puts forward this key idea to help students understand basic mathematical topics at a deeper level. This workshop is geared toward students who either have been away from school and would like a mathematics refresher or recent high school graduates who need additional mathematics support prior to the fall semester. Topics include arithmetic of fractions, rules for exponents, and basic algebra. We will cover common mistakes students make and how to avoid them.
Mathematics Refresher Dates:
- Monday, July, 27th 10:00AM-12:00PM and 1:00PM-3:00PM
- Wednesday, July, 29th 10:00AM-12:00PM and 1:00PM-3:00PM
College SuccessThis workshop offers high school graduates the opportunity to learn about four basic college success skills that are essential before they step foot on a college campus.
- Goal setting and time management,
- Reading syllabi for college success,
- Adapting study strategies to ways of learning, and
- Using resources and seeking support
This 6 hour workshop connects new students to campus resources and peer mentors. Any high school graduate without previous college experience is encouraged to attend.
College Success Dates:
- Thursday, August 6th 9:00am-4:00pm
- Wednesday, August 12th 9:00AM-12:00PM & Thursday, August 13th 9:00AM-12:00PM
- Wednesday, August 12th 1:00PM-4:00PM & Thursday, August 13th 1:00PM-4:00PM