Kassidy Taylor
Headshot of Carlo Capuz '21, '23G

Since Carlo Capuz ’21, ‘23G was a kid, he knew he wanted to work with technology.

“I’ve been interested in computers since I was young,” he says. “The rapid growth of technology also sparked my interest, especially in software development.”

Growing up in the Philippines, Carlo was in high school when he moved to the U.S. with his family. He graduated from Manchester High School West and went on to earn an associate degree in information technology at NHTI. He then utilized UNH Manchester’s community college pathway program to transfer into the computer information system bachelor’s degree program.

“When I transferred to UNH Manchester, I felt like I belonged here,” Carlo says. “Everyone was accommodating and warm, and the staff were helpful and supportive.”

College was a turning point to push himself out of his comfort zone, he says. While pursuing his bachelor’s, Carlo worked as an ESOL tutor and assistant in the EXCELL Program to support other English language learners. He also began taking graduate-level courses, which he eventually applied to the accelerated master’s program in information technology.

“Being able to solve various complex problems using technology is why I chose the computing programs at UNH Manchester,” Carlo says.

Now a graduate student, Carlo has seized opportunities to get real-world experience. Thanks to a reference from one of his professors, he landed a role as a database engineer intern at Treehouse Technology Group. From meeting with clients and developers to creating datasets and configurations, Carlo says he’s building skills and experience that will help him in the future.

“The knowledge I’ve gained in the IT program served as a base for what I needed to be able to work in the ‘real world.’ In my internship, I’ve been able to really build onto that foundation in industry.”

After he graduates, Carlo plans to apply what he’s learned at school and in the workforce to a computer engineering role. He credits his time at UNH Manchester for helping him on the path to success.

“Since I started here, I’ve made numerous connections and have done so much to improve myself, both academically and personally,” Carlo says. “UNH Manchester helped me become a better version of myself.”