Communication arts grad launches freelance videography business

Shruti Mungi
Headshot of Cameron Schuyler '22, UNH Manchester communication arts graduate

Few are able to turn their passions into professions and stick with it when the going gets hard. But for Cameron Schuyler '22, pursuing filmmaking was a no-brainer from the start.

“Coming out of high school, I knew what I wanted to do and UNH Manchester offered me all the tools and resources to accomplish my filmmaking college career,” he says. “Seeing the studio space, audio recording space, screening room and editing room really got me excited to be able to use those spaces.”

Cameron’s passion for filmmaking drove him to choose the communication arts program with a focus in film and media studies

“With my major, I had been given my sense of purpose,” he says. “Communication arts is the platform that uplifted my voice to foster growth and prepare me for a career outside of college.”

At UNH Manchester, Cameron found an abundance of opportunities that connected him to the community. He interned as a production assistant for WMUR-TV and as a photographer and videographer for UNH Cooperative Extension. 

Over time, these experiences allowed him to diversify his skills and take on more challenging projects. He aided in the production of UNH Manchester’s “Anthem video” and took part in the National Association of Community Development Extension Professionals’ virtual convention in 2020. His film CHECKMATE also received the 2022 Undergraduate Research Conference Best Film Award. 

“I was terrified because I recognize that the film industry and other creative media fields are increasingly competitive,” he says. “However, my confidence in my ability to step out of the box and make a name for myself was achievable with the support I received.”

This strong sense of community at UNH Manchester was ultimately the most rewarding part of Cameron’s experience. 

“When you think of a small commuter school, you’d think there wouldn’t be many people to talk to or much to do, but UNH Manchester proves that wrong,” he says. “There are so many friendly faces from students, professors, security to the facilities workers.”

Thinking back on his experience, Cameron’s advice to students is simple: don’t be afraid to ask questions.

“If it wasn’t for me asking how to get involved, I would’ve never gotten as connected to the community, found my internships or had the enjoyment from my experiences,” he says.

After graduating, Cameron opened CamSky Productions to offer videography, photography, drone operation and editing services to businesses. He now creates video content for New England-based companies Embark Films, SearchPro Systems and Mobius Mobility. 

Interested in communications or filmmaking?
Check out our communication arts program