Shruti Mungi
Katie Leger headshot

Katie Leger ’23, ‘24G always wanted to teach middle school English and help students succeed. At UNH Manchester, she was able to combine this passion for education with practical experiences in the classroom. 

“Teaching has been one of the most rewarding experiences I have ever had and UNH Manchester offers so many great opportunities to get you into the classroom,” she says.  

As a commuter, Katie was looking for a flexible program that would allow her to work and study at the same time. She chose the English teaching major in order to maximize her practical experience and was then accepted into the accelerated master’s program

“I knew I wanted to teach English once I graduated, so when I saw that I could start taking graduate-level courses during my last year of undergrad and receive dual credit, it was perfect,” she says. “I had the flexibility to work as a substitute teacher during the day and then come to campus for classes at night.” 

Katie was able to deliver instruction and engage with students in the Manchester School District through courses like EDUC 610. Collaborating with Dr. C.C. Hendricks, whom she had admired as a professor, Katie gained valuable insights into pedagogies and teaching strategies.  

“Her knowledge made this course very enjoyable, while also challenging me to go out of my comfort zone at times,” Katie says. “I was able to create and solo teach a lesson in a seventh grade ELA classroom, building my confidence as an educator further.” 

Once the course concluded, Katie was hired at the same school as a substitute teacher. She credits her professors for being supportive throughout the whole experience. 

“The professors within the English teaching program are hands down some of the best teachers and mentors I have ever had,” she says. “They truly push you to be your absolute best.” 

Katie's advice to students with similar interests is to embrace failure and not be afraid to take risks. She acknowledges that teaching is a rewarding journey that requires stepping out of one's comfort zone. 

“My advice to students considering UNH Manchester is to come and take a tour! If you enjoy smaller, close-knit, communities, this college is definitely for you,” she says.  

After she finishes the accelerated Master of Arts in Teaching program, Katie hopes to continue working in Manchester as a middle school ELA teacher. 

“This fall, I will be able to work with students daily and gain valuable practical experience through this program,” she says. “I am so grateful that this program allows me to do what I love, while also being able to learn a lot about my future career.”